Temporary & Permanent Residency
Permanent residency in Paraguay is both affordable and attractive.
There are two ways of obtaining Permanent Residency:
1. By first obtaining Temporary Residency (After two years of Temporary Residency, you can request Permanent Residency through the standard process).
2. By proving an investment through the SUACE system.
Obtaining Temporary Residency
Temporary Residency is a prerequisite for Permanent Residency. It is granted for a 2 year term which is extendable for the same time frame. After two years of Temporary Residency, you can request Permanent Residency through the standard process.
You must file all required documents at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which grants Consular Visas to people that request Temporary Residency. The National Migration Office will ultimately grant the requested residency (or not).
Demostrating a working investment in Paraguay can exonerate the previous steps of Temporary Residency.
Requirements for Temporary Residency
- Valid Passport
- Visa for the required cases
- Visa verification done at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Entrance stamp to the country
- Birth certificate
- Civil situation certificate
- National or Federal Police Report from the country of origin or the country of residency for the last 3 years. Only applicable to people 14 or above.
- Interpol Certificate 14 or above
- Police Records for Foreigners granted by National Police, 14 or above
- Sworn Declaration to respect Paraguayan Constitution and Paraguayan laws gave before Notary
- Sworn Declaration before the Migration Office of the activity that the applicant will develop in the Paraguayan Territory,
- Migration Office fee for the referred procedure
- All the other requirements established by law and its regulations
Steps to Temporary Residency
At your arrival, the Interpol certificate is requested.
After this, you will visit a notary in order to sign the POA and Sworn Declaration to obey Paraguayan Laws and Constitution.
Once these referred documents have been requested, the Finestra Law team will obtain of the rest of the local documents along with the translations.
All original documents are compiled with with two notarized copies of each. Once the documents are ready, you will visit Migration Office in order to sign the Temporary Residency request and take a digital photo for the file.
The Paraguayan Cedula is the official government ID for all paraguayan citizens, temporary and permanent foreign residents. It is used for almost everything in Paraguay, from opening accounts to entering parks and buildings.
After you are granted Temporary Residency, you are entitled to the Paraguayan Cedula and are enabled to do most things that paraguayans do.
Requirements for Paraguayan Cedula
- Notarized copy of your passport
- Notarized copy of your temporary
- Police Carnet for Foreigners
- Apostilled Birth Certificate
- Apostilled National Police Record for Foreigners
- Apostilled Document Proving Civil Estate (if applicable)
- Interpol Certificate (done in Paraguay)
- Life and Residency Certificate (done in Paraguay)
- Paraguayan Police Certificate for Foreigners
Permanent Resdency through the SUACE System
The first step will be to get an INVESTOR CERTIFICATE. The following are all the documents needed to obtain an investor certificate.
Requirements for Investor Certificate
- Original Copy of the Foreign Investor Certificate application form, which will be filled out by computer and signed once printed. (we will provide)
- Notarized copy of the identity document of the country of origin or passport.
- Notarized copy of the criminal record certificate from the country of origin, (fot federal countries, has to be the federal certificate), apostilled or legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Paraguay.
- Notarized copy of the Interpol Certificate of Paraguay.
- Notarized copy of the entry stamp into the country.
- Original copy of the Sworn Declaration of commitment to carry out the opening of the company before the SUACE, accompanied by the signature certification sheet. The safety data sheet number must appear on the sworn statement sheet. (we will provide)
- Original copy of the investment project profile, signed by the investor. (we will provide)
- Current special power of attorney, granted by the holder, to the attorney(s) with special power to represent and act on their behalf, if necessary, and a copy of the attorney’s identity. (if needed)
- For companies that are already in operation, whose partner wishes to modify their immigration status, they must present the:
- Copy authenticated by a notary of the constitution of the company.
- Assembly Minutes, where the interested party is designated as a member of the board of directors.
- The certificate of legal entity issued by the secretary of state for taxation.
- Submit a supporting document that support your economic solvency
- The amount of labor to be generated by the company must be a minimum of 5 (five) employees. This is a not binding document.
Requirements for the Residency Card
- Investor certificate – SUACE regimen
- Valid passport or identity document.
- Consular visa and its verification by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (if required)
- Entry stamp into the country
- Original Birth Certificate
- Original Police Record
- Original Civil situation certificate
- Original Interpol Certificate done in Paraguay
- Original Local Police Record for Foreigners (done in Paraguay)
- Original Life and Residency Certificate (done in Paraguay)
Note: All non-MERCOSUR or non-Spanish documents have to be translated by a certified translator in Paraguay. Birth Certificate, Police Records from Country of Origin, etc.